Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Oscar thoughts...

Ok, I just saw The Departed and LOVED IT. Dustin and I went to see it and Volver on Sunday. Volver--I enjoyed the story and although I appreciate Penny's acting, I don't understand the nomination. In fact, there are a few nominations this year I don't get. Eddie Murphy for best supporting for Dreamgirls?? What? He's playing Donkey (Shrek) and his SNL James Brown. I didn't see anything special. Also for supporting, Mark Wahlberg? Go see The Departed and see if you think he deserves it? He's barely in it (not that that matters), but he was nothing comparedto Leo or Matt. Ridiculous. Let's go one by one.

You can follow along on the ballot: http://a.oscar.abc.com/media/2007/images/nominees/printballot_2007_2.pdf

Lead Actor- most likely it'll be Forest Whitaker. I have yet to see his movie.
Supporting Actor- Will they pick Eddie?? I want Djimon (Blood Diamond) or Jackie Early- Little Children (been hearing great things.)
Lead Actress- Helen Mirren is my guess. Judy Dench was equally as powerful though.
Supporting Actress- Jen Hudson (great job!! the only reason to see Dreamgirls.)Although I enjoyed both ladies from Babel.
Cinematography- Hmmm. Either Children of Men or Pan's Labyrinth are who I'd like to see win.
Costume Design- Dreamgirls...though Marie Antoinette caught my eye.
Directing- Hands down THE DEPARTED!!! Go Martin!
Doc Feature- I'd love it if An Inconvenient Truth won. We'll see.
Adapted Screenplay- The Departed
Original Screeplay- Little Miss Sunshine
Best Picture
- I'd be happy any of these really. The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine are my soft spots though. (Who knows, Babel could take it!)
Foreign Language Film- Pan's Labyrinth (this is a beautifull (yet horrific) film, go see it.)

I can't say enough about The Departed. I had a blast watching it! It's my personal best picture. Although I loved Miss Sunshine, it didn't have the same effect on me. I am very excited to see Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson and Forest in Last King. I might have to update this!

I'm getting my hip replaced during the Oscars--Feb. 25th! Can't believe it. So, I'll be cheering on an IV. Hey, at least I won't have to get up to go to the bathroom. hehehe.

More to come! (I plan on seeing some movies in the coming weeks)

2 comments:

The Dew said...

Wha? Your hip replaced?

Valerie said...

Yep! Can you believe it? It's actually a resurfacing. I'll be good as new by April!