Sunday, November 04, 2007

I would've called you Vid.

What if we had gone to high school together? We were so different. Both of us were well liked, but we definitely hung out with different crowds. Were you quiet? I was pretty loud at times. You were two years younger...so, a sophomore when I was a senior. We weren't in the same clubs or sports...how would we have met? You studied a lot, I didn't. You were known as one of the nicest guys in school...I was voted most flirtatious. Think you would've liked me? I could've learned from you back then, like I do now. I just wish I could go back and observe how you were at 16. I wouldn't have gotten in the way of anything, but I would've said hi to you in the hall-smiled at you in the hall. I think I could've talked you into going to more games. I think I could've made you laugh...maybe take yourself a little less seriously. It's weird, I think we would've been friends. Just friends, but we could've had the potential to be good ones. I think of us in my little town, not in the big one you grew up in. I would've come over to your house to get you to go riding around...you would've resisted, but I would've tricked you into coming. I think you secretly wanted to rebel a little, you just didn't have the right influence. I was a good kid, I hung around good kids. We didn't drink or smoke...we just stayed out too late, mostly talking. Everyone almost always ended up at my house on Saturday nights--after their dates or after spending family time at home. You could've showed up with someone...or most likely, I would've come to get you. You were the type I would've wanted to hang around. Witty, smart, funny, kind and focused. I was anything but focused. You probably would've given me some good advice back then. You have a sense of calm about you...and an overwhelming feeling of "good." I know you were flirty and that maybe you would've at least thrown a look at me at some point. I would've talked to you until late at night about whatever was on my mind...I would've wanted your insight. We would've laid on the high jump mat talking into the wee hours of the morning...laughing and such. I would've signed your yearbook, "I know we'll always talk because how could I not know what you're doing...I can't wait to see all the things you do in your life."

I'm lucky enough to have a front row seat for that now. So I didn't meet you until later...oh well, at least we met. All the rest I can day dream about and wonder...but know this...if we had been high school friends...we'd still be in touch.

No comments: