Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm really just not that into you anymore.

This morning I watched an interview on Today that got me thinking about friendships. Martha Stewarts's daughter, Alexis spoke about her new book, Whateverland and also her friendship break up with the co author, Jennifer Hutt. They are simply not friends anymore...I guess Alexis didn't want to be around her and that was that. They had a tv show together...and they wrote a book...and it seems like one day Alexis thought, "I'm tired of being around you and you're not my type of person..." That's interesting to me. I have issues with friends at times. Meaning, I can't cut them loose even when I need to. I hang on to them...and it's just not healthy. Aren't there people you just think, "Wow, we used to have a lot in common...we used to be close and now...not so much. You annoy me, really." It's sort of awful, but really just life. We grow. We break up with boyfriends...why not friends? It's the friends that never ask you about you. They go on about themselves...and they don't seem to notice that you're even there. They disappear during difficult times. They don't even make you laugh anymore. Now, I know we all go through times when we have to focus on our lives and we drift, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's more...whenever you talk to this person you feel worse than when you started. That's not healthy. I have people like this...but I can't seem to break up. I wonder how many want to break up with me? (I need to become aware of this as well...and take some cues possibly...)

It's my own fault. I'm working on it. I need to make a conscious effort to be a better friend myself. I should focus on those that make my world better and the others will have to take a back seat. There are so many amazing people in my life that I don't speak enough to, I don't reach out to enough because of one thing or another--but good friendships and good people are a treasure and I need to start treating them that way.

Life is good, but there are some damn difficult times--it's time to not only realize who makes you stronger...but to lend a hand to those who might need your strength a bit more. Some aren't good at reaching out, but when you do--it's very rewarding. Grab hands and hold on...we've got a lot of life to go yet.

No comments: