Thursday, January 12, 2012

Clooney's face



Today is better, though it is raining and gray. I was very productive this morning...after waking in the middle of the night feeling anxiety about something. That happens a lot--I will have an elephant on my chest and I just don't know what's wrong. I went to see The Descendants last night. Some of the dialogue was off to me, but I felt George Clooney was really great. His walk, his facial expressions, his entire demeanor was spot on. There are moments that I've never had--things that his character was going through and the way he was able to express them with no words made me think, "yes, that's exactly how I would feel." I really loved that. I felt light headed for him. I felt heartbroken and sick with him. It's worth seeing for his performance, alone.

Dragon Tattoo was pretty intense to watch (NR rating), but I enjoyed the thrill of the mystery--and seeing Daniel Craig is perfectly fitting jeans. Lisbeth was softer, prettier in this version. I read something on Wikipedia that I found interesting:

"Larsson witnessed the gang rape of a young girl when he was 15. He never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, whose name was Lisbeth – like the young main character of his books, herself a rape victim, which inspired the theme of sexual violence against women in his books."


Also the title of the movie was originally Men Who Hate Women in Swedish. Hmmm.

Jason enjoyed it but was so affected by the two rape scenes that he struggled to sleep for the rest of the weekend. He didn't find them necessary in the film.

I plan on watching Money Ball this weekend. I have some making up to do before the SAGS. Award season is shallow, sure. But, it's a mood lifter. It's a reason to sit and love or criticize. I always wanted to be a critic, but turned out critical instead.

I leave you with a quote from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: (This is Oskar's mind-he's 9)

“What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone's heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone's hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don't really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war.” 

and this one...(a discussion with his therapist)

“I feel too much. That's what's going on.' 'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' 'My insides don't match up with my outsides.' 'Do anyone's insides and outsides match up?' 'I don't know. I'm only me.' 'Maybe that's what a person's personality is: the difference between the inside and outside.' 'But it's worse for me.' 'I wonder if everyone thinks it's worse for him.' 'Probably. But it really is worse for me.” 

No comments: