Saturday, March 14, 2009

Religulous

Just watched this "documentary" by Bill Maher. I understand what he's trying to say, but I don't agree at all in which he does it. I don't believe in making people look stupid or feel foolish because of what they believe. He has so many cuts and edits--he basically shows you what he wants to show you. "I'm smarter than all of these people." It's not convincing. It's disrespectful. He interviews the most extreme people...and those who don't represent their religion well. I had a really hard time with that. The point of the entire film was that he wanted people to doubt. That's fine...questioning is a good thing. He also wanted to show how much blood shed there has been over religion. I agreed with him, but that was a small part of the movie. It was frustrating for me to watch. I try to watch things and put myself in others' shoes. How would I react to this had I been "represented" in this movie? I probably wouldn't finish it. He'll lose too many viewers. The fact that he calls it a documentary is a joke. It's just Bill promoting his ideas in whatever ways he can. I didn't learn anything...just that he doesn't believe in God and he wants anyone who does to feel ignorant. Granted...he really chose some very strange people...some real whackos--it was painful to watch actually.

That's not going to reach anyone. At least, it didn't reach me. I already doubt--this just made me lose respect for him...not for those he interviewed.

Am I too sensitive? Could be. Or maybe I've seen too many people try to prove their point by making others feel foolish. I've done this plenty in my life. I guess two hours of looking in the mirror wasn't a positive experience for me.


15 minutes later---

OR! Maybe I should've just watched it with a sense of humor! Geesh! I do take some things too seriously. He is a comic after all...

No comments: