Monday, March 30, 2009

SATC....not quite.

Had another weekend in Brooklyn. And although I'm too exhausted to write in depth about the experience...I will say that I find stepping into another's life something each person should do. Meaning, the weekend was nothing I would have ever planned for myself. I hung out with people I never would've run into or met on my own (my brunch pals were a 72 year old woman, Pat and an 86 year old man, Harold. They were fabulous. I loved the conversation and I loved the environment--a diner over a 100 years old that looked the same as it did when it opened. In fact, Harold used to come there as a little boy. (Big story on Harold coming soon.)

I grew up in Small Town, KS. They (Harold, Pat and Michael--my coworker) grew up in Brooklyn. They lived in apt buildings...they walked to get everything they needed...or they took a bus. They didn't have to learn to drive, but did. Pat said she owned a car for a while..."from 1967-71." She said it wasn't for her.

Michael had me driving everywhere. I drove through the Holland tunnel, drove all over tons of neighborhoods...she even took me to Coney Island at 11pm to see the beach in the freezing, wet darkness. She has so much more energy than I do, it's crazy. She's 53 and I was wiped out trying to keep up with her. I love meeting a new type of woman I haven't encountered before. Her beliefs, her energy, her spiritual connection, her attitude--she's from a different mold. It was such a learning experience for me. We grew up in completely different universes and yet...we found tons of things we had in common.

We are all connected...somehow.
More later, I'm pooped.

.

No comments: