Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Oscar Post




First of all, these are based on practically nothing, I'm sad to say. I've barely seen any of them. It's sad...but for good reason.

Best Actor-
I want Colin Firth but I'm guessing Jeff Bridges, though Jeremy Renner would be a nice curve ball. They did that with Tilda, it could happen.

Best Actress-
I want Meryl Streep but I'm guessing Sandra Bullock for the win.

Best Supporting Actor-
Christoph Waltz must and will win this. He was just fantastic in Inglourious Basterds.

Best Supporting Actress-
Mo'Nique. I haven't seen it, but have seen enough. She looks terrifying to me. She should win.

Best Director-
REALLY hoping for Kathryn Bigalow for The Hurt Locker. It was flawless direction...and if Cameron gets it, I'll puke.

Best Original Screenplay-
The Hurt Locker. I did enjoy Basterds though...

Best Adapted Screenplay--
I'm going with Up In The Air, though I haven't seen it.

Best Pic--
Please let it be The Hurt Locker...nah, it'll be Avatar. Basterds would be a nice curve.

An interesting fact about why they're called Oscar---

Some people say Bette Davis is responsible; according to the story, she named her 1936 award after huer first husband, bandleader Harmon Oscar Nelson. The only trouble with this is that Walt Disney had reputedly referred to his statuette as Oscar two years earlier when he won for the award for best cartoon short. Another story is that was bestowed by Margaret Herrick, who was executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Art and Sciences from the early 1940s until her retirement in 1971. Ms. Herrick was only a librarian in 1931, when she commented that the statuette reminder her of her Uncle Oscar. (Thanks Entertainment Weekly!)


Here are Roger Ebert's pics:

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
Supporting Actress: Mo’Nique
Original Screenplay: Still a toss-up between The Hurt Locker and Basterds. Star screenwriter, popular movie, likable guy vs. the WGA and the BAFTA wins, no matter that QT was eligible for a WGA (you have to wonder why he isn’t a member of the WGA in the first place after all of these years. Mark Boal is a member and Quentin Tarantino is not? Whaddup with that?)
Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air
Art Direction: Avatar
Cinematography: Avatar OR The Hurt Locker
Editing: The Hurt Locker
Sound: The Hurt Locker
Sound Editing: Avatar
Costumes: The Young Victoria
Makeup: Star Trek
Documentary: The Cove
Foreign Language: El Secreto (Argentina)
Score: Up
Animated Feature: Up
Visual Effects: Avatar
Song: The Weary Kind
Live Action Short: The Door
Animated Short: Loaf and Death
Doc Short: The Last Truck

INTERESTING!! Awardsdaily.com (I love this site) predicts Basterds as the Best Pic win. That would be swell!!

My Dustin is coming in from Chicago to watch them with me. We usually are together...it's a nice excuse to fly one way or the other. This year I'm uneducated, but it'll still be fun. Can't WAIT!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I think "Up in the Air" was WAY over-rated. It was entertaining, but nothing to write home about (assuming you have a home, that is). Enjoy the Oscars! -Jer