Monday, March 22, 2010

Who needs Julia Child when you have Becky?

My friend Becky called this morning...just as I was about to call her. I love that. She'd been sending me some recipes to fix, so I thought I'd do the Chicken Salad today. We chatted along and I cooked--I'm not much in the kitchen, but I'm determined to learn! My friend Jeremy has been sending me lots of recipes too! It takes a tribe to raise this family! He has a great recipe for this orange liquor cake that's delish. I feel that my friends are trying to raise me once again. I've constantly been raised and taught by them. (I've taken a long time to mature) Becky kept giving me tips on other meals I can do that are easy for the family. Jason and I have been eating frozen foods long enough! I don't want my daughter to remember me that way. I figure I have about 2 years or so before she can eat my cooking...so I have plenty of time to learn. I'm excited. It's a new adventure for me. Hopefully we'll get a new dining room table so I can cook for family when they come in. They won't even recognize me!! I realize this is a small step for most of you, but this is a BIG step for me. I'm 35 and can't find my way in the kitchen as of yet. Here's a perfect example: I had to Google how to boil an egg this morning. I do know how to boil water though. I bought a garlic press yesterday...no idea how to use it. We'll see...

I'm feeling better today. Yesterday I was so cranky. Probably coming down from my 2 weeks of visitors. I had such a nice time with my mom, it was hard for me to have her leave. I get attached to her. I've tried to distance myself a lot from people so that I don't miss them. That sounds awful. But, as I grow older, it doesn't much work as well as it used to. I should just let myself feel the happiness and the sadness.

Today, I made the chicken salad, egg salad (yuck! it was for Jason), potato salad (yum! my grandma's recipe) and a huge mess in the kitchen. :) I'm in the middle of cleaning it up now. It took me all morning to do this. I need to start fixing things daily. It makes me feel productive. My life is changing. I used to eat out of cans and microwaves...tons of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, gosh. But, I want Z to be healthy and happy. Small steps, but I'll get there!

No comments: