Thursday, October 07, 2010

God--the controversial blog.


God seems to be pretty popular this week in pop culture. Glee, The Daily Show and Oprah have all dealt with the question of God. Jason and I talked about it a bit...he's pretty much agnostic. I understand that. I also have a friend who recently told me she's an atheist. I understand that, too. I've never been religious. I feared hell as a child. Jason doesn't believe in hell. He's pretty resolute about that. I think my belief in it is ingrained in me. I'd love to be wrong. If anything, it's a conversation--the belief in God. Most of my friends are Christians. I grew up in a very God fearing community. Everyone went to church on Sunday for the most part. There were a lot of Catholics in my class. I dated a couple later--Catholics, not guys in my class. I'd say...it was hard for me. The guy I dated in my late twenties is VERY Catholic. Wow. And, sadly, as much kindness as he could show me, he had a part of him that could hate people for no good reason. His family...again, as kind as they could be to him...weren't so kind to me. We were trying to be serious, but my non-Catholic status kept us from really getting anywhere. (Well, that and a hundred other things) Unfortunately, my experience in that relationship really tainted my view of "good Christian folk."
In my experience...the most religious are the most judgmental. Now, there are exceptions, of course. Usually, for some reason, I've found more women that are less judgmental, but that could be because I have good friends. But, I've also found that some atheists seem to find themselves superior and that the "believers" are ignorant pawns. The movie, Religulous" was very condescending. I feel that Bill Maher goes too far. If you don't want to believe, then don't. But, I think it is wrong to make people who follow a religion out to be ridiculous. I do find some ignorant, but mostly for blind hated against others.
I struggle with the "Christian" stance on homosexuality. That alone really keeps me from looking into finding a Christian church that works for me. I find when people start talking about it...it immediately turns me off. The "I would never be mean to someone who was gay, but I don't believe in their lifestyle." Ugh...vomit. So holier than thou.
Another turn off is the idea that people of the Jewish faith will not go to heaven. I remember my freshman year at KU when a girl came to my friend's room to convert her to Christianity. She's Jewish. She told her that she would go to hell if she didn't believe Jesus was the son of God. Wow. That nipped that in the bud for me. I can't tolerate that kind of ignorance. It pains me to hear such things. You know what though...I guess I'm a hypocrite because I feel that way about most "Christians." The judgmental lifestyle isn't much for me either. The arguing inside churches, yuck. (Yes, I know many churches don't have inner battles, but I've known 2 in the past year.) The "if you don't believe in Jesus you're going to hell" thing REALLY annoys me.
I haven't addressed The Bible. I will first start out and say I haven't read the whole thing. But, when I used to read in it, I found most of it to be full of great lessons. I think it's a nice piece of literature. I don't take it literally, but many do. It's an old book. It's been republished many, many times. It's been reinterpreted many times. It has some great things in it. I was never taught that it was something to base my life on. I'll let Z decide that for herself. More importantly than if you believe in The Bible or not, is what you DO believe! (I like Kevin Costner's answer in Bull Durham, but I'll list my own.)

This is what I believe--today.

* I believe that there is a higher power and why not call it God.
* I believe in the soul.
* I believe in kindness and compassion.
* I believe in keeping an open mind.
* I believe in angels.
-my friend Carrie told me about an angel that visited her before she died and I've held on to that story as my proof since then.
* I believe that Jesus lived and was a wonderful teacher.
* I believe that homosexuals are born homosexual. Yes, God made them that way. (thank God!)
* I believe proof of God is found in nature...and in the fact that we all have individual souls.
* I don't believe any one religion is wrong. I believe that God is found anywhere--not just with Jesus.

Now that I've alienated most anyone that reads this...I just wanted to address these things. It's my lesson of the day. I figure, we all need to address this in our selves. People are dying all over the world because of their beliefs. It's better to know what yours are.

Ten bucks says Jason will read this and say that I should take it down...so not to upset too many people. It's not meant to upset anyone....I was just thinking about it and one day I can look back and read this. Who knows what I'll be believing then. Life has a way of changing our beliefs as we move through it.

4 comments:

Kortney said...

I take your lesson from today as : have your beliefs, share them if you want but don't force feed them to others, you don't have to cower because of them, you aren't stupid for having them and no one else is stupid for not having the same ones as you.

Its a good lesson. I hope Z takes notes.

Valerie said...

I guess the lesson was for me. I'm not sure I've ever stated what I believe in...I just normally know what I don't believe. See, I learned something!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should be afraid of talking about what you believe! It is always better to discover and voice your beliefs than to be apathetic about them.
:)Lisa

Jen said...

In choosing the next church I attend, the most important thing to me is their stance on gay marriage. I think it's a good litmus test. If the church is "open and affirming," I feel like chances are good that many of the other things that upset me about churches won't be happening there.