Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Learning to Reinvent


I am slow to learn. Not book wise, but socially. I matured late, it seems to me. I watched my friends go through things that I wouldn't go through until years later. There are some that are born wise. I'm in awe of those people. I can look back in my life and see that they were always wise...even in high school. That's amazing. Wise to me means that they can tap into what the world is really about...not what pop culture creates. They always walked their own road. They looked toward the future. I went through life until my early 30s seeing just past my nose. Understanding how your actions today will affect your future is such a great lesson. Knowing what you are and are not ready for in your life...another great lesson. I've always looked to others to find my way--that's kind of messed up, right? Anyway, I've decided to start another blog that deals with all of this. A place where I can post stories, poetry, music and pictures of women who inspire me. I think it will be a great place of reference for me and for Zoƫ. It's still under construction, but once it's underway, I'll share.

I never took a Women's Studies course in college. I wish I had. Again, I had no vision of my life or what I might really want to do with it. But, we all have the chance to start again. We can reinvent ourselves. That's exciting! Here are a list of women who reinvented themselves later in life...

Phyliss Diller became a comedian at the age of 37. She was told by many club owners that she was "too old" to become a success.

Julia Child didn't even learn to cook until she was almost 40 and didn't launch her popular show until she was 50.

Elizabeth Jolley had her first novel published at the age of 56. In one year alone she received 39 rejection letters but finally had 15 novels and four short story collections published to great success. Mary Wesley was 71 when her first novel was published.

Laura Ingalls Wilder began writing as a columnist in her 40s. Contrary to a belief begun by the TV series about her family, the popular Little House books weren't written when she was a young girl at all. They were written and published when the 'girl' was in her 60's.



http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/latestart.html
(This is a great little website that has a great list of late starters.)

Recently I saw JK Rowling on Oprah...pretty inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHVy_50IIE

(here's part 1...you can find the whole show on YouTube.)

1 comment: