Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I need a Delorean.

While cleaning out the garage, Jason found lots of memorabilia from his teenage years. In this pile were videos of his 9th grade English assignment of a scene from Great Expectations. It's adorable. He plays Pip. Attached to this clip was a little family video he filmed from around that time. They are all in the kitchen and he's talking behind the camera. I love it. I've often wondered what we'd think of each other had we'd met earlier. Jason says that we would never have worked back then. He was too to the "right" and I was too to the "left." It's true. He was VERY conservative back then. Our liberal minds didn't match up until 2005. I'm surprised how much he's changed compared to his high school and college years. I've matured, but my views on most everything have stayed the same. In the video, he was so much younger, yes, but he was also lighter. Life weighs you down as it hands you a job, a hefty mortgage, marriage and parenting. He's very concerned about keeping things going. He's a perfectionist to a fault. He stays up late nights working and worrying. He's the peace keeper in his family. He wants everything to be okay all of the time. I would love to have met him at 15. He was a book worm, I was more about friends and having fun. I think I could have added a little something to his life back then. Maybe helped him take things a bit less seriously. And, maybe he could have made me understood the importance of focusing a bit more on school work. I think our friendship could really have helped both of us. He's carried the weight of the world from a young age. His childhood is a blur to him...and before the age of 12, it just doesn't exist in his memory. I want to see what happened before then.

It all worked out in the end, but I constantly think of going back in time. I'd like to see my parents as young children. I'd love to understand where certain parts of their personalities come from. I'd love to go back in my own life...to see how I was at 5. It's very Emily Webbish (Our Town) to have this desire, but I think about it a lot. I feel like Mad Men is a cool way to learn about how life was in the 1960s. Although it's scripted, just seeing the fashions and the reactions to historic events is interesting.

I want to go back and talk to my mom when she was 18. I want to know what her thoughts were about her life. What did she want back then?

Don't you think that would be fascinating?

No comments: