Thursday, December 02, 2010

Yes, I'm going to bitch about my mother in law.

Zoë turns 1 on Sunday. We are going to Cleveland this weekend so that her grandma can celebrate it with her. I don't want to go. I want to be selfish and have the party here. Of course, that means that only J and I would be in attendance, but that's how it was when she was born...and she won't remember this anyway. Because it is her first birthday, I'm feeling territorial. I want it to be MY cupcake she eats, not something made by someone else. We already gave her the cake and icing that I had when I was one last weekend. However, I think it's just the way it's being handled by her grandma. She demands things. She doesn't ask. She is going to have it HER way. It makes me want to say, "this is my daughter, we are celebrating at home, you're not invited." Ok, that's mean. I want Z to have a great relationship with her grandparents. It's just this particular grandparent doesn't ASK anything. She makes plans without consulting us. She counts the hours we spend at each house--(J has divorced parents and we have to split time.) She questions my mothering skills. She CONSTANTLY makes comments about Z's bedtime. "6:30 is too early! I don't know any baby that goes to bed that early!" (This makes me want to scream.) This discussion has gone on for weeks. It WAS 7:30, but then daylight savings moved the time back...so it's an hour earlier. The time changed...she didn't. I'm so not looking forward to this trip. I have daydreams about screaming, "ENOUGH!!! She is MY daughter...I make the decisions and we're going home!" This won't happen. Jason is totally the other direction. He's Mr. Peace Maker. He doesn't confront anyone. He doesn't stir the pot. He ignores her comments. He doesn't shut down conversations because he says it just makes things worse. He's had his entire life to "master" the dealings with his mother. I've had a couple of years and I'm ALL ABOUT confrontation!

Give me strength to get through this. Make it snow so we don't have to go.

No comments: