Thursday, January 27, 2011

At 70

Today is my dad's 70th birthday. Thought I'd give you a peek at our relationship by sharing our emails today. He was a judge in Kansas for 25+ years. He just retired in January. "LB" is his wife. He spends 6 months a year in Kino, Mexico. He spends his time fishing mostly...and reading. We got him a Kindle for his birthday this year. This post is mostly for me, but feel free to see what you get out of it.

His subject was "Thoughts on turning 70"

Dear Kids, Kids-in-law, and grandkids,

First, thank you all again for the great birthday gift. The Kindle is really great. Not only have I now read 7 books since receiving the Kindle, I have about 7 on the list to be read and 4 of those were free. In addition, I now have a Spanish Language textbook on the Kindle and each day I take a Spanish lesson. I am also seriously considering adding the periodic chart which I can get for free. I don't need it very often but when I do it is never around.

But, on turning 70: I woke up this morning and that makes me 70! I am only one day older than yesterday but one year older than my last birthday. LB had a birthday party last night at happy hour for me and 17 people were there and we all had a great time. Wendy (Rod's wife from South Dakota) cooked pheasant and there was quite a bit there and we all enjoyed eating pheasant in addition to 7 layer bean dip, guacamole, cheese and crackers, pico de gallo, and chips and salsa. I didn't weigh this morning.

This morning only one boat went out--Fish Finder. A little while ago he called in and said he had blown his engine so a rescue is under way as I write. We know Fish Finder is over 80 but we don't know his actual age. I am the Ramp Manager so in about 45 minutes I will be at the boat ramp with my crew of hearty old guys to get the boat on the trailer by hand. Helping others is the one proven remedy for growing old. Being Ramp Manager is mucho better than being on the crew. The water temp is 59 degrees and the manager stays high and dry giving orders to the crew. Really, the main job of the manager is to watch and warn anyone who might be getting in a position to be hurt by a bouncing boat. The water is still calm this morning so that shouldn't be difficult.

I now must admit to being old--middle-aged is out of the picture as I can't imagine reaching the age of 140 years.

(I cut it short...)

Here was my response:

Happy Birthday first of all. Here, it is cold. Our roof is leaking and Jason fell off of the ladder this morning. Also, our satellite is out. Not off to a good start, but that's probably because you're sucking all of the nice weather and good luck towards your part of the world. (Jason is fine, just bruised...he was clearing off the roof.) Z is getting a new tooth. That's 11 teeth now. Goodness! She's into being loud this week. Loves to squeal VERY LOUDLY and chirp. She's playing quietly currently and it's blissful. NYC got dumped on last night. 19 inches in Central Park. The East is getting hammered lately! We didn't get that snow...just a constant inch or two...daily.

Your birthday started out well I think. You woke up retired, in a warm place, in a happy marriage, well fed, well read and in good health. How many can say that?!

Enjoy the warmth. We miss you here. I think of you daily. "What's the best way to do this??" It's amazing how our parents' voices are constantly heard. With so much guidance as kids, it just continues as adults as the mental record players constantly spin.

You know, I truly believe I wouldn't be in this happy place if you hadn't supported me when I had the crazy idea to move to Chicago. Without your help, I never would have been able to make the move. (It was crazy...) However, I met amazing people, including my husband, and started my adventures. That move created my love of new beginnings and discovering new places. I believe we'll be in Rochester for a long time though. We love it here. What a leap of faith you had to help me on that journey! I always think about that. You even helped us move to Rochester! I love that.

Now Z is running around in circles holding her baby and squealing with delight. She loves her baby. She washes her in the bath (not a water proof baby...) and takes her to bed. She even feeds her during dinner time--smashing peas and cheerios into her plastic face.

I'm wearing my Jayhawk fleece vest. She LOVES the Jayhawk on it and constantly has to be picked up to point at it. Cute.

Well, hope you enjoy the day. I love you and miss you. Can't wait to see you again.

Love,
Valerie

No comments: