Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I left my heart in San Francisco

Z and I got back yesterday. She spent four days being spoiled to death by J's family and I spent four uninterrupted days getting back in touch with my husband. We traveled the CA coast, starting and ending in San Francisco--my favorite US city. I did a great job of staying in the present and focusing on connecting again. Our daily lives as parents can sometimes pull us away from being husband and wife. Jason works too much--but he's always worked hard...and that's just the way it is. After 5 years, I'm learning to appreciate his efforts instead of feeling slighted by them. He's always supportive if I want to try new things. I need to be supportive of how he gets through his day. He's not thrilled at his work hours. Why should I kick the guy when he's down? I've always loved the falling in love stage. I would say I am addicted to it. But, marriage isn't about that. At least, in my experience. For better or for worse. We haven't hit worse...we've just been going through, "really? this is how hard it is?" But, in the first few hours of us taking off alone...we were laughing and having a ball. The man that I've been frustrated with due to his issues with work/home balance had relaxed and made me feel giddy again. (Gosh, this sounds like we were in hell before...no. Just every day crap.) We get lost in all of it. Work, a baby, a mortgage and constant house chores just crowd out the romance. We spent our days talking and laughing and sharing our thoughts about whatever...it was great. I missed Z pretty horribly...but the butterflies reappearing in my belly were worth it.

Jason is in CA for the rest of the week. Already, the phone calls are more upbeat and cheery. I think we're both lighter and re energized.

If at all possible...reconnect as much as possible. And listen to the music you listened to in the beginning. Kiss. Hug. Sit near the other...even if they are working--to let them know you're there.

No comments: