Wednesday, September 07, 2011

On being a woman.

I finished the conversation with Gloria Steinem and Alice Walker.  Wilma Mankiller was also there. They are all dear friends and it was so enlightening to hear what all they had to say. I'm literally going to have to listen to it again in order to absorb it all. Alice is such a lover of all things and is so in the present. She's able to enjoy solitude and feels that it's healing for her. She feels that we all should sit quietly for a time before reacting too quickly to things in our lives. Gloria struggles with both sitting quietly and solitude. She cared for her mother as a young girl and wasn't given the attention she needed growing up. She finds peace in helping others; as if being needed gave her purpose and made her feel seen. I struggle with sitting quietly. I am really trying to do more of it. I'm trying to learn more and understand more. I realize that escaping into TV or the movies doesn't do me any good. I'm not growing. I'm sort of...maintaining. Tonight I'm staying away from the TV and headed to the library. My audio books are getting expensive to buy so I'm going to check some out. I need quiet. I need some time alone. I had an idea for a little book of poems. I need to make some notes. I'll try to outline the important points of the Y conversation and put it here. As a woman, there are so many things to know about yourself. Things that you don't even think about. Things you've grown to understand...that are wrong. I'm doing my best to reach out and find as many women writers and artists to learn from. I have so much to bestow onto Z.

I'm so sick of these vague posts. They need more meat. I write when I'm too fatigued. I will try harder.

No comments: