Thursday, October 20, 2011

the giving trees

We took a little fam walk around the block around 10am. The sun was perfectly lighting the trees...yet it was so gray in other areas of sky. Oranges and reds just popped. The streets were wet from an early morning rain and for some reason the beauty of this time of day made me really emotional. Maybe it was because I was so thankful. Or, maybe I know that this time is fleeting... It's such a juxtaposition of the time of year and the times we live in. I feel such sadness and such happiness at the same time. I walked by Bill and Melissa's house and know all the pain they are in--but I want to go get them and take them on a walk with me. I know they're not ready to take it in...but one day they will again. When you go through such sadness, having the world be so beautiful can be maddening. The fact that it is still turning doesn't make sense. But it does. It continues to turn through all of our issues and our heartbreaks. It just keeps going--as it will long after we are gone.

Dustin is coming next Wednesday. I'm thrilled. He'll spend a week with us...relaxing, talking, Halloweening and eating. I got a sitter for Friday night so we can go haunted housing. The three of us love this time of year. I also put the sitter on hold for Thursday in case we want to go to the movies. Jason will be traveling. Mostly, it's just someone to sit in our house...since Z goes down so early. Last night she slept for 14 hours--she didn't feel well. Today, she seems much better.

This is the time of year to try to walk outside in the evenings and take in the noise of the swirling leaves and the crisp night air. It's a time to reflect. It's a time to really give thought to what's really important and make sure you've centered your life around it. Easier said that done...I know, but it should be done.





No comments: