Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bright Lights, Big City

Yesterday was a down day after getting back from NYC and trying to get back on track. Jason left on an overnight trip and Z and I were left to putz around the house together. We both have colds. I'm wiping both of our noses constantly...and we both have a husky voice. My weekend was inspiring. I feel that stepping out of your comfort zone a bit and into a life totally different than your own is good for you. Jeremy's is easy to step into. I started my weekend off by meeting him at Lincoln Center. He works for the NYC Ballet. Walking up the steps and seeing the beautifully lit tree and seeing the enormous Nutcracker posters was just gorgeous. I thought, "he sees this every day...he's used to it." I can't imagine that. He met me in the lobby and took me on a tour of the David H. Koch theatre. Rehearsals were going on for the Nutcracker and so we stood off stage and watched for a bit. It was a surreal moment for me. Again, this is normal for him. ?? He introduced me to his work friends. One might assume that these would be stuffy artsy fartsy people, but they were all kind, funny and very welcoming. I didn't feel out of place at all. After we left we made our way to the Rockefeller Christmas tree which was beautiful, yet crowded with people. Santa, Rudolf and Goofy were there as well. ?? After about 10 minutes, I was cold, exhausted and ready to head to Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is a great place to live. Jeremy took me to about 3 specialty stores and we got our loot for dinner. This is a far cry from my Tops grocery runs. I sat in his kitchen drinking wine (and hot tea as my throat was on fire at that point) as he made dinner and we chatted about life and it's ups and downs. I love the fact that I can sit with a man and still see him as 15. (We went to high school together.) He knows where I'm from. He may be living this surreal life to me, but he says he is just a farm boy who lives in NYC. He is down to earth, kind and is very quick to point out how my life is just as inspiring. It is easy to feel pretty damn blah in this setting. The night was perfect. We sat and ate, drank, laughed and I met his roommate, Robby and his girlfriend, Maya--again, the nicest of people. Jeremy does well at surrounding himself with quality friends.

So, let's jump to Hugh--though I'm skipping through brunch and shopping in SoHo which was fun for me to explore for the first time. J and I both gave the performance a B-. It was entertaining, but self promoting and felt overly rehearsed and stiff. The songs weren't anything you wouldn't hear on a tribute to Broadway album sung by anyone. (Sorry Hugh) His dancers weren't in tune with one another. He seemed as if he was walking through the show a bit. Maybe he hold out for the evening performance? I hate to be this rough on him...he was charming and funny, but I expected more off the cuff. I've seen Harry Connick Jr. several times and I was expecting a show more like his. HCJ is an amazing talent and can easily switch up a show on a whim by what's happening in the audience. He is smooth and rarely shaken and you feel that this show is JUST for you. Hugh's off the cuff moments seemed planned. Oh well, it was fun to experience.
(BTW, Dolly Parton and Barbra Streisand were probably the best performers I've ever seen...and I recommend paying the ticket to see them if you ever get the chance.)

We went back to Brooklyn and I cooked dinner. We all sat around together talking about relationships and watched back episodes of Glee. I sat there thinking...these people are accomplished, kind, funny and very bright. Their life is so city. The subway is their daily commute. They walk everywhere. They may have a car, but it's rarely used. They are busy going to shows, producing shows, going out to eat and sitting around having conversations that mean something. My life seemed...less productive. Aside from raising a great girl, I don't really pursue things that inspire me. Jeremy has his own theatre company for heaven's sake. (http://trustysidekick.org) His roommate, Rob, manages an improv theatre. Ok, I need to do something. So, after talks with Jeremy...I've decided to try my hand at writing a play. I've mentioned my interest before on this blog, but I never truly pursued it. Now, I feel inspired and motivated. I need to create something. I feel good about it.

I recommend always trying to surround yourself with people who raise you up. When I'm around lazy people, I'm lazy. When I'm around people that bring their A game...it makes me want to follow suit. (Thanks Jeremy.)

 Here you go...here's Hugh as Peter Allen. My only pic because I was afraid to get caught!


 Jeremy and I on Sunday morning...pj's and all!

And J with the NYT...listening to NPR and drinking his coffee. Love this picture.


No comments: