Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hello, I love you.

Happy Fat Tuesday. I've never really celebrated Mardi Gras. If you live in Chicago during that time...and if you are in your 20s..you've sort of celebrated it because you celebrate everything at a bar. (And I had VERY social friends.) But today, it's just another day of momville. We made Valentine cupcakes. I bathed both girls. I cleaned Z's room. I put on make up. I feel that just doing that is an accomplishment some days.

Yesterday was a blur. I was horribly tired from the weekend...thus, emotional anyway. I got a call that my grandpa died. He was technically my "step" grandpa, but that doesn't matter. He was a very kind, happy and sweet man. He never treated me any differently than his other grandchildren. I am sad to never see him again...and his smile, but am relieved that he is no longer suffering. He lived a very full life and created a great family. That's really all you can ask for.

We have date night on Friday. Haven't decided what movie to go to. It will either be Identity Thief or Side Effects.  I'm leaning toward the latter. Quality over laughter might just win out. (though who couldn't use a good laugh.)

There's nothing like losing someone to make you think about your own mortality. I think about what I've left behind. Did I do my best to make people feel special? Did I reach out as much as I could have? At this time of my life...I don't call people as often as I think of them. I miss the endless time I had to just sit and talk with my friends--in person or on the phone. I miss that connection. The best we can do is do it when we can. I would hope everyone would know how much I love them. I would hope my children would be proud of who their mother was. I'd hope J would know how much I love him. Thing is, you won't know...so I guess if I have any doubt about any of that...I should do something about that.

No comments: