Monday, February 10, 2014

Woody Allen. (if you even give a shit about it...here's how I feel.)

Okay, I'm just going to discuss this situation because it's bothering me. I hate the part of growing up when you witness a parent or an adult close to you do something and you think, "Shit...I thought you were perfect."

Here's the thing. I love Woody Allen movies post 1975. I'm not a fan of his earlier work. But his movies that deal with human relationships with all of their complexities and such have always interested me. His has a gift for dialogue and story. He gives women leading roles and started my love affair with Diane Keaton--albeit one sided.

I knew about his relationship with Mia's adopted daughter. I was 17 though...and I just moved past it. (I didn't really start getting interested in his work until about 20, I think.) Husbands and Wives was the first movie I thought...yeah...I like how this works. His movies have such insanely flawed and corrupt people. Some of his movies are bombs (for me). I'm not a fan of everything...but I grew to be a fan and collect his movies.

Now...here we go again. Dylan's open letter to the New York Times. I read. I was sickened by it. But part of me wondered...is this true? I am ashamed to doubt her. I am ashamed that it is so hard for me to knock him off of his pedestal. I feel awful for the entire ordeal. I searched the Internet to make myself feel better. "Someone write SOMETHING that makes his untrue!"

I found it here:'
Not So Fast...

Thank God, I felt. Okay...I have another reference point.

But I just keep thinking about it. I saw Rosie on The View and she said something along the lines of how awful it was for Dylan to go through what she did...and then to have the public doubt her...it was worse. My god. I know. Of course it would be.

I had a friend post on my Facebook page the open letter article and she stated that she would NEVER watch another Woody Allen movie.

(big sigh here.)

Here is another article that says, Let's turn a blind eye to this because it's really sucks to think about...

It's none of our business!

Okay...as a mother...I would kill him. I really would. And I am split down the middle here. Part of the reason he may create such great stuff is probably because he is fucked up! Some of the greatest books, movies and poems come from REALLY messed up people. People you probably wouldn't want alone with your children.

So here it is...I love Woody Allen's movies. I love his gift. I am in awe of him. But...yes, there's a lot of things that are not adding up. This poor child--whether she is telling the truth or not--has been through HELL. Let's face it...she is wounded and scarred by what has happened to her. If Mia brainwashed her. If Woody assaulted her. She's a broken person and needs healing. I feel awful for her. There is a dark cloud over Woody now. I can't help it. I HATE IT.


But here's the worst part--and I am partly ashamed of it. I'm not going to stop loving his movies. As a film love and a lover of the written word--good scripts are so hard to come by. They just are. And the film maker who is really looking at human relationships--the light and the horribly dark of it all...and talented in portraying that is hard for me not to watch.

Damn. I'm just sorry about it all. Woody Allen now isn't just love now...it's love and hate. (and I don't even know if he did it...but I have two little girls and I'm tainted now.)




No comments: