Thursday, September 09, 2010

Purge

It seems that watching Hoarders does affect people. I've been wandering around Blog World and I can see people referencing it and having garage sales. We need to do the same. At this point, it would be pretty small. I'm going to see if Jason is up for it. We have things that we just need to purge, yes...but some things would be really helpful to others. J's parents are moving out of their BIG house they've lived in for around 20 years or so and into the cottage in the backyard. They used to rent this space out. Least to say they are downsizing. We've upsized a lot in the past few years. Getting our own home has been great. I love my house. I have an email when I found it online and sent it to Jason with the subject line, "This is our house!" Most people really look around when they buy. We looked at 2. We saw this one and wanted it and just looked at another one to say we did. It's not perfect. In fact, most would walk through and say how outdated it is. Oh, yes...it is. It was built in 74 and it mostly looks like time stood still. There are no hardwood floors. The kitchen is a nightmare. The bedrooms are small. But, it has great character. I don't want to fill it up with stuff. It's hard when you want to decorate. I just keep adding and not subtracting! So, I'm going to clean out my closet tonight of ALL unNEEDED clothes. Unwanted wouldn't be the right thing to write. I hold onto things because I'm sentimental. Also, I have that "I could fit into this again one day" delusion. I need to accept that this is how people end up with WAYYYY too much shit in their homes. The people on Hoarders aren't bad people. A lot of times it's because they've lost someone or they are lonely or because they are mentally ill. There is a reason to hold onto things you that you obviously need to get rid of. Life moves so quickly that people hold on to things to slow it down. We want to remember. We want to think of good times. We also don't want to waste. "I'll use that one day..." I don't want to go to the extreme of making our house look sparse and cold. I want it to be warm. But I don't want my daughter to pick up some embarrassingly short skirt and say, "Oh my GAWD! You WORE this???" Yeah, a pretty low moment. It's time to get rid of the evidence!

No comments: