Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Yee-Haw



Rereading my latest posts, I sound depressed. Maybe I shouldn't write when I'm not feeling shiny, but it's at least a reference point for me. I can look back on these and see my crests and troughs. Today is a crest. I'm afraid J is having a trough. He just ran out of here to go to Owego. He does this trip about once a week. It's 3 hours away. It sucks for him. However, when he's gone, I get the most done. I'm not really sure why that is. I just put Z down for her 11am nap. It doesn't last long. This is normally when I get my shower in. But, I'm writing instead.

This weekend we are all headed to the NY State Fair. It's in Syracuse. I grew up going to the Kansas State Fair in Hutchison, KS.



I had some great times there and one, not so great time. It was the turning point of my 7th grade year from ok to horrible. After my band class marched in the parade, we had our orange drink at Mc D's and then headed to our day at the fair. We were let loose and then given a time to meet back up. I was running around with my friends and riding rides when we came across The Gravitron. Uhhh...not a great idea. It spins until you stick to the sides of the ride. The orange drink didn't really work well for me. As the door was opening, I vomited all over 2 of my friends and we were friends no more. Because I smelled like puke, no one wanted to hang out anymore, so I was on my own for the rest of the day--who could blame them, really. Pretty much after that, my name was dirt. However, 8th grade picked up and was a pretty good year. I'm was forever scarred on rides though and to this day I don't do anything twirly. I'm just the most boring person you could ever take to a theme park. However, I'm your girl if you like water rides or calm seated rides through scary mansions.

Back to the NY fair. I do like the exhibits and NY has a lot of things KS doesn't have. I'm anxious to see the difference. Here are the top attractions I'm interested in! (copied from the site)

Coronas Circus - A one-ring extravaganza beneath a big-top tent. This annual favorite is so big this year that we had to move it to the Infield Amusement Area. With highly trained aerialists, acrobats and animals. A special added attraction is Coronas’ Kids-Fest bounce attractions and the Girraffic Adventure Zoo.

The Ejection Seat -This giant slingshot for human beings acts like a reverse bungee jump, firing daring riders 155 feet into the sky then letting them bounce up and down above the fairgrounds until they scream to a stop. This Adventure Zone attraction is one of only six of its kind traveling the United States this summer - don't miss it! (I won't be doing this, but will love to watch!)

International Building - Use your taste buds to celebrate New York's traditional role as a gateway for immigrants and a melting pot of diverse cultures. Explore the Fair's renovated International Building and find specialties from around the world. Whether you crave Caribbean empanadas, German bratwurst, Japanese tempura, Greek baklava or some other ethnic dish, you'll find it here.

Lane's Home Entertainment Tour - This huge, one-of-its-kind interactive mobile showroom is on a national tour and will be at the New York State Fair for THREE DAYS ONLY, from Friday, Sept. 3 through Sunday, Sept. 5. Visitors to the attraction will be able to create a variety of stylish and affordable home entertainment furniture solutions. They can win cool prizes and have their photo taken in front of our innovative green screen and retrieve their photo online when they get home. Lane has partnered with Dunk & Bright Furniture, so stop by and look for a special deal.

Pride of New York Marketplace - An entire building at the fair’s main entrance has been turned into an old-time store stocked with foods from every corner of New York State. The marketplace will feature an ice cream stand as well as a variety of snack items, gourmet sauces, syrups, pastas and more… made with family recipes, all from the Empire State. You’ll be surprised to see how easy it is to shop locally. Buy a bagful on your way out.

Butter & Cheese Sculptures - Visit the Dairy Products Building to see how hundreds of pounds of butter are turned into art to mark the 42nd anniversary of this State Fair tradition. For the visually impaired we also have a hands-on clay model of the butter sculpture at the Dairy Princess Booth. You can also see blocks of New York State cheese carved into artwork before your eyes. (How could this not be fun...)

My granddad used to own the Pronto Pup stands in all of the fairs.



(they're really good corn dogs!) I always eat those. I'm not sure NY is so big into 4-H or not. The KS state fair was where I saw my first concerts. It was where I hung out with friends, boyfriends, family...it just has a lot of nice moments. I'd like Z to like them as well. J isn't much of a fair or carnival guy. AT ALL. He pretty much hates them. I'm hoping he'll see that State Fairs can be pretty damn cool. The exhibits alone are impressive. Oprah did a show at the Texas State Fair and it was awesome. The fried food...holy shit. I'm not so much into fried stuff anymore, but I might just have some ridiculous fried yummy this weekend. Ahh...it'll be sunny and 67 degrees!! Perfect!

1 comment:

Kate Hall said...

man, i don't think i've EVER been to a state fair. not even sure that Rhode Island actually has one. is that possible?
need to get it on my list, and 'pronto'... :)
thanks for checking in ... too...