Tuesday, October 19, 2010

He's a Mad, mad, mad, mad Man!


What is Don Draper doing? I just watched the season finale of Mad Men and am floored by Don's sudden love fest with his secretary. I understand his feelings of loss compounded with her Maria Von Trappness--but to get engaged? Wow. I think men that had an absent mother (or mom that weren't very mommyish) yearn for that at any age.

Mad Men...I find it so damned entertaining...all of it. I love the era, I love the clothes, I love the feeling that I'm somehow peering into past lives of my parents and grandparents. It's like I'm watching behind a couch or something. Don Draper is an odd duck though. I find myself attracted to him, as EVERY woman on the show does, yet so fed up with his crap. My mom can't stand him. He's selfish. Yes. He uses people. Yes. Yet, he has that smart man, good looking, mystery thing happening. He's creative and has presence. This is a character, I know. He's a guy I'd like to have drinks with...but then dump in the end. He really needs to be dumped. The guys just discards women like wrappers. It is gross...and yet so entertaining!

Poor Betty...she's just miserable and becoming just awful. So pretty and yet SO messed up. Don screwed her head up pretty well. She shouldn't have children. She's unhappy and angry.

In my next life, I want to be Joan. How fucking fantastic is she!?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm trying to pull off Joan for Halloween!!! Love her!

Valerie said...

That would be FABulous!!!! Take a picture!