Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thoughts and ramblings from a mind "unplugged"

Today and yesterday--beautiful Fall days. Trees wave with glowing leaves and 70 degrees. I'm headed out shortly to continue cleaning our garage. This process has been ongoing...for too long. Take my advice, if your parents are downsizing, don't take their crap!!! You get emotional and think you want it and then you realize...uh, they didn't want it for a reason. Anyway, so now we are throwing stuff away that should have been thrown away to begin with. There are also our things that we've hauled with us from Chicago. We fall into the trap ourselves-holding on to things from the past. It's hard to let things go. Memories flow over you. Times with friends that you may not talk to anymore. Keeping things seems to a way of holding on to that time of your life. I still have shirts from high school. I have letters from college. Yes, letters!! Oh, I miss them. Email is too easy. My friends Angela, Joel and Kortney constantly wrote me. I really hope I wrote them back.
The Fall has a way of bringing on the memories. The trees spark colorful memories of college. KU's campus bursts with color in Autumn. Walking down to the football games...walking the streets under the colorful canopies...gosh, how I miss it. Everything was mine for the taking. I met amazing people and had some of the greatest talks of my life. Your life was ahead of you...you could do anything you wanted. I fell into my life. I didn't plan it. Maybe most people do. Now, I crave control and choice. I feel as if I have to take control of the moments of my day. I want to plan it out. I want to make sure it's not wasted. The TV detox is part of that. As a film student, you spend endless hours watching movies. It's amazing. Life is outside! It's in the blowing trees, in the rain beating the pavement, in the sun that lights up the leaves and in sounds of kids in the neighborhood. Do kids spend time outside anymore? Are they all inside on some type of electronic doo-dad? As I sit here typing away on my Mac...listening to my Itunes....my god.
In the next week, my goal is to write 10 letters. 10 lucky people get mail. I think it's time to throw something different out into the universe. HEY!!! UNIVERSE!!! REMEMBER ME?????

No comments: