Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oscar Nom day!

Most film students would say that I'm a pathetic excuse for a film major because of my love of the Oscars. The KU Film Dept. is extremely stuck up about film...yes, they are a good school, but wow...it was always a room of egos. I would relive any of those classes in a heartbeat. A great time. True, my English degree got me more jobs than my Film degree, but I love having both. Anyway, this morning I watched the Oscar nominations. I haven't seen a lot of the movies, but I do believe that The King's Speech is excellent and that Colin should win. I have many movies to see before Feb. 27th. My friend Dustin is coming in for the big event. We try to get as many seen and whatever is left we try to squeeze in together in the days we spend together.

For my birthday, Jason and I are going to see Blue Valentine. Michelle Williams was just nominated for her role in it! I know it will be a downer, but I still want to see it. J's mom is coming in for a week. So, I'm taking full advantage and we are going to go on a couple of dates. We went to see movies almost every weekend before Z. That's how we relax. One day, we'll be able to go again...

I'm making myself post today. I haven't in a couple of days. I have more on my mind...but I think I need to digest a bit before I put it on here.

Until then,

Here' are the nominees:

Best motion picture of the year

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Javier Bardem (Biutiful)
Jeff Bridges (True Grit)
Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network)
Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
James Franco (127 Hours)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Christian Bale (The Fighter)
John Hawkes (Winter's Bone)
Jeremy Renner (The Town)
Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right)
Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right)
Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole)
Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone)
Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Amy Adams (The Fighter)
Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech)
Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)
Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)

Achievement in directing

Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
David O Russell (The Fighter)
Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
David Fincher (The Social Network)
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen (True Grit)

Adapted screenplay

127 Hours - Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy (127 Hours)
The Social Network - Aaron Sorkin
Toy Story 3 - Michael Arndt (screenplay); John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich (story)
True Grit - Joel Coen and Ethan Coen (True Grit)
Winter's Bone - Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini

Original screenplay

Another Year - Mike Leigh
The Fighter - Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson (screenplay); Keith Dorrington, Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson (story)
Inception - Christopher Nolan
The Kids Are All Right - Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg
The King's Speech - David Seidler

Best animated feature film of the year

How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

Best foreign language film of the year

Biutiful (Mexico)
Dogtooth (Greece)
In a Better World (Denmark)
Incendies (Canada)
Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi) (Algeria)


1 comment:

Kate Hall said...

oh lord. i haven't seen a movie in forever, that doesn't have animated characters. blagh. although, truth, hubsJ and I just watched Spencer's Mountain with the kids and its making me want like 48 kids and a mountain... :)