Thursday, August 18, 2011

ill Communication

After spending a lot of time with my family recently, I continued the study of how we communicate. I've always been the VERY open of the lot, but even more lately. My mother and sister are certainly tight lipped about many things. In fact, many times I am left guessing on how they feel on almost anything. I don't know if they're having a good time...or what they enjoy doing...or what they think of what they are eating, etc. I began to wonder if it was me. Since I am so out right about how I feel and what I think...I wonder if people are nervous about speaking their minds around me. If that is true, it saddens me. I haven't asked this question, but I can see how it could be true. In hopes of helping people, I tend to tell them how to do things...thinking my way is best. How gross of me. I want to help so much, I almost hold people back. This is all guessing. I know people are different in how they communicate. I know that I can tend to be harsh and such. I see my "old self" in them at times and I broke free of that person in order to feel independent. The main thing is the constant conversations about being unhappy. (I used to do this as well.) I learned that talking about it does nothing. DO something about it. I want them to be happy, so I tell them ways to DO it. There is no movement. Years of discussing discontentment and yet, nothing happens. I get horribly frustrated and the harshness comes out. I'm trying to work on it. But let me leave you with this...DO something if you are unhappy. Feeling sorry for yourself gets you nowhere but tired. I'm not talking about homelessness or things in that type of nature. I'm talking about basic things that can be repaired. There are always people who can help you. Maybe your OCD, controlling sister or daughter is not who you should go to, but there is someone.

No comments: