Thursday, August 23, 2012

art therapy.

I made it through yesterday-but it wasn't pretty. Jason came home early to relieve me, whew! I napped and then got up to hear Z still not down. By that point, I was able to cope so I took over. She was down in 15 mins. :)

Last night I watched a documentary, The Gates, about an art project that was in NY's Central Park for 2 weeks in Feb. 2005. When I was there last, I saw some pictures of them in the Met and I picked up 4 water colors outside that had them in one of them. I didn't get the back story until last night. Really fascinating. It took about 27 years for the artists to fulfill their vision in the park. A lot of nay sayers until Mayor Bloomberg said okay. Aren't they beautiful?


They covered 23 miles of the park. Just cool. My friend Jeremy had just moved there when they were on display. He sent me some of his pics as well. They weren't well received by everyone. Some older folks were interviewed and they found them awful. "The park was beautiful before...why would you add all of this?!" The Gates were made of steel. In fact, there were 7, 503 gates--which collectively had 3/4 of the amount of steel in the Eiffel Tower. (You may find this not so interesting...but it was really interesting to J and me, even if we never saw it.)

Anyway...so I watched that and started a new book. I read pages in about 3 before I settled on another mystery. I'm still searching a bit.

Yesterday, I was overwhelmed by all that needs to be done before baby girl gets here. Today I'm calmer. I'm still tired, but am definitely more logical. I'm a bit irrational when I'm tired. It will all get done. It will all get done. (my mantra)

The months are filling up with people wanting to visit. It will be nice to have so many people coming to see us. Some have never been here before. I have a trip to Kansas planned in the May-Aug time frame, depending on what we decide--but it is nice to have people come here, too.

I'm going to try to get a few more chores done before I pick up the girl. I hear a very loud crying dog outside. Hmmm...may have to go check it out.

1 comment:

Kate Hall said...

whoosh. had a hard time trying to get the cursor into the right spot to type. feel like thats my day every day lately. want to do something very simple, something very simple always gets in the way. yesterday my belly buddy figured out how to pluck my ribs from within. ah, both wonderful and sort of frighteningly powerful. never saw the artwork you've pictured but heard a lot about it. it really did get canned, i'm not sure what that was about, new yorkers are a strange and wonderful lot. just like kicks in the ribs, i guess. :) hang in there mama.